Comfort food. The best thing ever. The most delicious thing ever. Most likely the unhealthiest thing ever.
That’s right! Today we have given you our 4 favourite comfort foods and recipes on how to make them. You will find recipes for Soup’s amazing mac & cheese, TJ’s favourite food ever, the famous s’mores and The highly sort after recipe to the triple chocolate cookies.
Enjoy! (Hopefully you will find these recipes useful next time you have to make yourself food…)
Mac & Cheese
- 400g macaroni pasta
- 50g butter (salted)
- 2 tbsp plain flour
- 2 cups (500 ml) milk
- 2 cups cheese (mozzarella, tasty etc.) (mixing one or more cheeses to the same amount works too)
- Cook macaroni pasta in a pot of boiling water according to instructions.
- While pasta is cooking melt butter and add flour in a medium saucepan on medium high heat (be careful not to let the butter burn)
- Gradually add the milk while stirring to keep it smooth (it may also be helpful to use a whisk here but it is not necessary). Bring this to a boil, then reduce heat and let simmer for approx. 2 minutes
- Remove from the heat and stir in the grated cheese until it is melted and the mixture is smooth.
- Drain the pasta and return it to the pot. Pour in the cheese and mix until well coated
- Add salt and pepper as desired and….
Ingredients (serves 3):
- 1 can of red kidney beans (drained)
- 1 (410g) can of crushed tomatoes
- 1 onion (finely chopped)
- 2 cloves of garlic (crushed)
- olive oil
- 4 drops of Tabasco sauce
- 3 avocadoes
- 2 tbl spns mayonnaise
- lemon juice (from 1/2 lemon)
- 2 packets of corn chips
- mozzarella cheese (grated)
- sour cream
- Preheat the oven 180 degrees Celsius.
- Pour about a tablespoon of olive oil in a frying pan on the stove over medium heat, add the onion and cook until soft.
- Add in the garlic along with the can of red kidney beans and can of crushed tomatoes.
- Leave to simmer for around 15 minutes.
- Prepare an oven tray and put the corn chips on it and scatter the cheese over the top.
- After 15 minutes place the oven tray into the oven and cook until the cheese melts and the add into the frying pan the paprika, thyme, rosemary and salt until it tastes good, simmer for another 2 minutes then turn off the stove.
- Put the avocado, mayonnaise, tabasco and lemon juice into a bowl and mash until combined.
- Serve up with sour cream.
- Enjoy the best food ever created!
- Graham crackers
- Plain chocolate
- Preheat the oven to 180C
- Place a square of chocolate in the middle of the graham cracker (try to leave a border along the sides)
- place the marshmallows on top of the chocolate
- Put it all on a tray and into the oven for about 4 – 6 minutes or just until the the chocolate and the marshmallows are melted (keep an eye on this as once they start to melt they melt fast)
- take the tray out of the oven and place graham crackers on top
- You may want to wait for it to cool down slightly before devouring them.. that will happen
Triple Chocolate Chip Cookies
- 165g (3/4 cup, firmly packed) dark brown sugar
- 220g (1 cup) caster sugar
- 200g unsalted butter, softened
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 eggs
- 260g (1 3/4 cups) plain flour
- 100g (1 cup) Dutch or Belgian cocoa
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 100g milk chocolate (chips)
- 100g white chocolate (chips)
- Preheat the oven to 180°C.
- Using an electric mixer, beat the sugars, butter and vanilla until fluffy.
- Add eggs, one at a time, beating after each one.
- Sift the flour, cocoa and baking powder over the mixture.
- Add the white and milk chocolate chips and combine.
- Roll 1/2 tablespoonfuls of mixture into balls and place on baking paper-lined oven trays.
- Flatten the balls slightly with the palm of your hand.
- Then bake the cookies for 12 minutes or until golden brown.
- Cool the cookies on trays.
That’s all for now!
What are your comfort foods? Are they the same as ours?
Until next time,
Keep the nerdling army strong!